What are the standards to get a loan or in-service withdrawal?
Documentation is not required for a general purpose loan or for an age-based withdrawal (assuming you are at least age 59 ½).

A residential loan can be only for the purchase of a primary residence and must be documented.
For financial hardship withdrawals, you must demonstrate a hardship such as negative monthly cash flow, unpaid medical expenses or personal casualty losses that are not covered by insurance, or unpaid legal expenses for separation from a spouse or divorce.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question