What’s my retirement coverage if I am re-employed and my annuity is stopped?
If you had CSRS coverage when you retired: you will be returned to CSRS if you are re-employed within one year of your retirement; the coverage will be CSRS Offset if you had CSRS Offset coverage when you retired, you are re-employed more than a year after your retirement, or you are appointed to a senior position that is subject to mandatory Social Security coverage. You will be eligible to transfer to FERS if you are re-employed after a break in service of more than three days and your new appointment is neither temporary nor intermittent.

If you had FERS coverage when you retired, you will be returned to FERS.

If you work as a re-employed annuitant on a full time, continuous basis for at least one year, you may be entitled to a supplemental annuity. If you work part time, you must work a proportionately longer period to earn a supplemental annuity. If your re-employment continues for at least five years, or the part-time equivalent, you may elect a redetermined annuity.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question