Who is covered by the Civil Service Retirement System?

Generally, if you were first hired by the federal government before 1984, you are under CSRS. However, even those hired before that year might fall under the Federal Employees Retirement System or the CSRS Offset system if they had a break in service, depending on how long the break was and how many years of service they had under CSRS. Also, there were several opportunities for those under CSRS to voluntarily switch to FERS; they retire under FERS rules but their benefits are a combination of the two.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question