Can I challenge the classification of my position?
You may seek a change in the grade of your position, the occupational series, and sometimes the title of a position, or to have a General Schedule position changed to the Federal Wage System or vice-versa.
You may appeal the classification of a position to your employing agency at any time.

If you are in the General schedule, you may appeal to the employing agency or directly to the Office of Personnel Management. However, you may not appeal to both at the same time. It’s advisable to first seek an appeal decision from the employing agency; if the agency decision is unfavorable, you still can appeal to OPM, but those who appeal first to OPM and receive an unfavorable decision cannot then appeal to the employing agency.

If you are in the Federal Wage System, you must first appeal to your employing agency. If dissatisfied, you may appeal to OPM.

If your position is upgraded, you generally cannot get back pay for the time your position was misclassified, unless the classification error resulted in an actual decrease in pay.

Detailed procedures are in Chapter 10, Section 1 of the Federal Employees Almanac.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question