The Executive Schedule sets salary levels of certain top officials, almost all of them political appointees:
• Level I, Cabinet-Level officials;
• Level II, deputy secretaries of departments, secretaries of military departments, and heads of major agencies;
• Level III, undersecretaries of departments and heads of middle-level agencies;
• Level IV, assistant well and general counsels of departments, heads of smaller agencies, members of certain boards and commissions; and
• Level V, administrators, commissioners, directors, and members of boards, commissions, or units of agencies.