Would I be reimbursed if I drive my personal vehicle for official business, including travel?

Generally, employees using privately owned transportation when it is advantageous to the government in performing official business travel are reimbursed at a flat mileage rate for a privately owned vehicle if no government-owned vehicle is available. There are separate rates if a government-owned vehicle is available but the employee chooses to use a privately owned automobile instead; for using a motorcycle or a privately owned airplane. These rates typically change early in each calendar year and also may change at other times due to variance in fuel prices. See Chapter 11, Section 1 of the Federal Employees Almanac.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question