Can I transfer into a personal services contract?
Some federal agencies use personal services contracts to fill special needs, particularly those requiring special expertise and/or that are likely to be of relatively short duration. This would not be a transfer; you would leave federal employment and work as an independent contractor. The terms of the contract, and in some cases the manner of its administration, determine the level of compensation and the length of the expected relationship.

In general, those hired under personal services contracts are not eligible for federal benefits.
Note: Individuals who take buyout separation incentive payments must repay the entire pretax amount plus accrued interest if returning to work for the government within five years, including as a personal services contractor. Unlike the rules allowing limited waivers of this requirement for re-employment as an appointed federal employee, there is no allowable waiver for those returning as personal services contractors.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question