If I’m transferred, will I get a relocation allowance?
Relocation allowances are payable when an employee is transferred from one official duty station to another permanent one at least 50 miles farther from the employee’s current residence than the old official station is from the same residence. Agencies may grant exceptions from the mileage minimum when in the interests of the government.

For a transfer within the continental United States, relocation allowances that an agency must pay or reimburse are: transportation and per diem for the employee and immediate family member(s); miscellaneous moving expenses; transportation and temporary storage of household goods; extended storage of household goods if assigned to a designated isolated official station in the continental United States; relocation income tax allowance; sell or buy residence transactions or lease termination expenses; and transportation of a mobile home or boat used as a primary residence in lieu of the transportation of household goods.

Agencies may at their discretion pay for: house-hunting per diem and transportation for the employee and spouse only; temporary quarters subsistence expense; shipment of a privately owned vehicle; use of a relocation services company; property management services; and home marketing incentives.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question