What can I do to challenge a disciplinary action?
Depending on the nature of the action, the type of your appointment and your career tenure (that is, not serving a probationary period), you may be able to:

• File an appeal with the Merit Systems Protection Board.
• File a grievance, if you are in a union bargaining unit—whether or not you are a dues-paying union member—under the negotiated procedures agreed to by the union and their agency. 
• File a complaint at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, if alleging some form of discrimination prohibited by law.
• Seek assistance in other forums such as seeking to have the Office of Special Counsel pursue a corrective action against the agency due to a prohibited personnel practice including retaliation for whistleblowing.

2021 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question