Federal Employees News Digest

Federal Benefits Q&A

Question: In all my reading, I've not seen mention of a formula for estimating your lump sum payment for annual leave when you retire. Is it as simple as multiplying your hourly rate (from the LES) by the number of hours of AL? Or is there some super-secret formula requiring a super computer to calculate?

Answer: To approximate a retiring employee's lump sum gross payment for unused annual leave, take the retiring employee's number of hours of unused annual leave on the day of retirement and multiply that number by the retiring employee's hourly wage rate. The hourly wage rate can be obtained by the taking the retiring employee's SF 50 salary (which includes locality pay adjustment) divided by 2087 hours.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above


Edward A. Zurndorfer Certified Financial Planner
Mike Causey Columnist
Tom Fox VP for Leadership and Innovation, Partnership for Public Service
Mathew B. Tully Legal Analyst

Free E-Newsletter


I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question