NTEU calls for pay parity in raises

The National Treasury Employees Union is calling on Congress to give civilian federal employees a 2.4 percent pay raise in 2018, which is what military members received in the 2018 National Defense Authorization.

The current proposal only give civilians a 1.4 percent raise with a 0.5 percent adjustment for locality pay rates.

“[T]he administration’s proposal is inadequate and does not keep up with what forecasters say will be an average 3 percent pay hike for private sector wages in 2018,” an NTEU press release states.

According to the group – which represents 150,000 employees at 31 federal agencies and departments – under the formula prescribed in the Federal Employees Pay Comparability Act, the federal pay raise should be the Employment Cost Index figure minus a half percent.

The administration’s plan is offering ECI minus one percent for the across-the-board portion of the raise.

“Federal employees’ paychecks have still not caught up after several years of pay freezes and below-standard raises, and parity with the military raise is a step in the right direction,” NTEU said in the statement.

Last year NTEU successfully lobbied for federal workers to receive a 2.1 percent raises for military and non-military workers in 2017, up from the original 1.6 percent proposal for civilians.

Reader comments

Thu, Nov 16, 2017

They are full of hot air. They mimic congress and the senate.

Wed, Nov 15, 2017

They talk a lot collect union dues and do very little.

Mon, Nov 13, 2017

Yes, and to achieve true parity, civilian employees should accept international deployments and get their healthcare through the VA

Mon, Nov 13, 2017

What date will civilian employees know what the pay raise will be for 2018?

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

2020 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question