Federal Employees News Digest

Federal Benefits Q&A

Question: I resigned from federal service in 1993 and received a refund of my CSRS contributions. I returned to federal service in 1995 under FERS. I have applied for Social Security and they are requesting documentation for that refund in 1993. I did not repay the refund and do not plan to, so my annuity will be based on my FERS service since 1995. Will the refund of CSRS contributions in 1993 affect the amount of Social Security I receive?

Answer: Since you received a refund of your CSRS contributions when you resigned from federal service in 1993 and have no intention of redepositing the withdrawn contributions, you will not receive a CSRS annuity component to your federal retirement. That being said, your Social Security will not be affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). As proof that you withdrew your CSRS contributions in 1993, you should request from your Personnel Office a copy of Form SF 2802 (Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions) that you filled out and submitted in 1993 at the time you left federal service.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above


Edward A. Zurndorfer Certified Financial Planner
Mike Causey Columnist
Tom Fox VP for Leadership and Innovation, Partnership for Public Service
Mathew B. Tully Legal Analyst

Free E-Newsletter


I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question