Federal Employees News Digest

Federal Benefits Q&A

Question: I am currently a CSRS-offset employee(less than 14000 of us are still active) and intend to retire soon. During that time I will have turned 66 and would become fully eligible for my social security benefit. My spouse currently received Social Security under her own work record. Once I do file, my benefits will be about $200 month more than my spouse. Am I correct, that once I file for my SS benefits we have to decide under whose benefit we will be receiving?

Answer:  Assuming that your spouse's Social Security monthly retirement benefit, then once you elect to start drawing your Social Security monthly benefit, then your spouse will continue to receive her monthly benefit and you will receive your monthly benefit. There is no law that says that the two of you cannot receive your own earned Social Security benefit.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above


Mike Causey Columnist
Mathew B. Tully Legal Analyst

2020 Digital Almanac

Stay Connected

Latest Forum Posts

Ask the Expert

Have a question regarding your federal employee benefits or retirement?

Submit a question