Federal Employees News Digest

Federal Benefits Q&A

Question: I and my spouse will be FERS annuitants at 62 years of age soon. For her to receive survivors FEHB, do I have to take the survivors annuity reduction?

Answer: You will have to give your spouse a survivor annuity benefit in order for your spouse to keep FEHB health insurance coverage in the event you predecease her. The fact your spouse had six years of FERS service 20 years ago means that your spouse is eligible to receive a deferred FERS annuity starting when your spouse is age 62 but with no FEHB health insurance benefit.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above