NTEU reacts to recent executive orders targeting feds
- By FederalSoup Staff
- May 29, 2018
The National Treasury Employees Union president is calling the three executive orders released by Trump last week a “threat” to the federal workforce and the federal government as a whole.
“The executive orders indicate an administration threatened by workers with rights. Our union has been around 80 years and this is not our first battle on behalf of federal employees,” NTEU Tony Reardon said. “The truth is these orders will disrupt the workplaces of every agency, add red tape and impede the quality work that taxpayers expect and deserve,” he added.
The executive orders, issued May 25, will 1) limit the amount of time an employee can be under investigation for misconduct and encourages firings for underperformers, 2) states that employees who conduct union activities while on the job must spend at least 75 percent of their time doing government work and 3) calls for the Office of Personnel Management to renegotiate contracts with unions regarding the reporting of official time instead of working directly with individual agencies.
Reardon stressed that the orders will not immediately effect current employees and noted that the collective bargaining agreements currently in place, will remain in effect.
“NTEU believes agencies will need to wait until contracts are reopened or expired before they can try to impose the anti-labor provisions called for by the executive orders,” according to the statement.
The union said it is reviewing legal options to ensure that the orders do not undercut the rights of federal employees.
Read the full statement here.